SanDiego505 - MBYC Invitational
Saturday-Sunday, June 22-23, 2002
Race ReportThe Invitational Regatta, hosted last month by MBYC, was the final stop in the 505 West Coast Championship Series on the way to the PCCs and North Americans. With 18 entrants, this was the second largest points earner in the regional series so far. It was also the third regatta in the local Fleet Championship series.
Conditions for the Invitational were practically ideal. Windward-leeward courses with rabbit starts gave everyone great practice for the upcoming NAs and Worlds. Teams worked hard all weekend moving in and out to keep their boats flat and their speed up as the consistent but moderate breeze was broken up by some really big swells. By Sunday morning the leeward end of the racecourse had filled up with more drifting kelp than I think I’ve ever seen in such a small area, and that really added to the challenge, especially at the starts. Team Tuesday stalwarts Dan Thompson and Andy Zinn from Long Beach won the regatta. Dan Merino and I weaseled our way into third place for the regatta and first place for the local competition.
Big Spinnaker development continued unabated. There were a lot of different shapes ranging from modified small chutes to new radial head designs. Most development is being geared toward the windy conditions that are anticipated this year at the North Americans in San Pedro and the Worlds in Perth. These have a high aspect ratio and are skinnier on top than usual. They were pretty quick in the medium breeze that prevailed at the Invitational. Dan and I had a chute of more conventional shape with nice broad shoulders that was very fast, but we know we will need something else when we go to the NAs next month.
The San Diego fleet showed its form by putting on an excellent party Saturday night complete with bbq and beer keg, all included in the entry fee. There were no complaints.
PhotosCheck out the awesome event photos here. These sample photos are copyright Reneé Speak Photography. Please do not copy these photos without permission. These proofs are of a reduced quality. If you wish to order high-quality prints, please contact Reneé at RENEESPEAKPHOTO@yahoo.com for pricing.
Added a second set (2 rolls) of photos. Be sure to check them out!
Mike Martin’s many lame excuses1. Reunion with childhood priest.
2. Can’t be bothered with a fleet where he’s not the world champion.
3. Gotta have 20 knots!
4. Wanted to play with Howie’s tools.
5. Wanted to wear a skiff hat.
6. Knew Zinn would kick his ass.
More Lamoids:1. Howie Hamlim – Preferred to spank the weasel at home.
2. Howie Hamlin – Entered the priesthood after hearing about the fringe benefits.
3. Fat Boys – Stopped at Krispy Kreme and never left.
4. Nick Adamson – Checking out new talent at Youth Champs.
5. Mike Holt – Home practicing his American accent.
6. Mike Holt – Doesn’t know where San Diego is.
7. Dave E. – No crew, no knee, needed to RC.
8. Robin Brown – Wanted to watch World Cup at the nudie bar.
9. Chris Stomberg – Thought beer fishing would be more fun.
10. Chris Stomberg - You mean *I* have to find my own driver?
11. Bruce Edwards – Had to pet the pony.